
Dear Sarah
Things are going okay here. Tonight the orchestra played Debussy, Piazzola and de Falla. It went okay, we learned it all in two weeks, how ridiculous.
I wonder a lot how you are adjusting to your new place and what it is like. Often I just sit in my dorm room and stare at the wall thinking, "Shit, I go to fucking BOARDING SCHOOL". I can imagine that something similar will be running through your mind. I've been here for almost 2 years and the thought still comes around all the time.
2 years is really short. Now that everything is winding down I feel like maybe I didn't fully take advantage of everything here but am too full of senioritis and spring fever to really push myself these last three months. Whatever you are getting into now, really evaluate what goes on and try to absorb it to the fullest- the good and the bad. I think these breaks from the reality of life and the commercial world are really great. I sort of enjoy not knowing what movies are in theaters or who won what award. Being secluded here has really helped my mind settle down and I find myself contemplating things I never would have before, its really neat.
Last week I went through this huge maze in my mind about how humans attempt to create hierarchies of themselves all the time and how the modern man has adapted this into the media and society which has become the subculture genre of celebrities and famous "important people". Out of all the billions of people in the world there are a few hundred that the majority "knows" for the most ridiculous reasons. Not because they are kindhearted or have wise souls but because they film movies and take naked pictures.
It also made me remember how I fell into the same pit of categorizing people when sophomore year of high school was in full swing and how much I treated you and others poorly and it really makes me feel bad, and I will apologize to you for that for as long as we keep in touch (hopefully for the rest of our lives).
... I never finished this letter.

No comments:
Post a Comment